lock oddity

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Tue Nov 20 20:32:16 GMT 2007

We have some autobuild setups that pull from official
branches.  In tracing some stuff on one of the machines,
I tried to manually do a pull in one of the local
branches and was met with:

Unable to obtain lock
file:///home/autobuild/tmp/LSBauto/vsw4-test/.bzr/repository/lock
held by autobuild at fsgdev-ia64 on host fsgdev-ia64 [process #9488]
locked 1106 hours, 5 inutes ago
Will continue to try until 18:52:38

This is a little silly, that's a 46-day-old lock.
The machine is somewhat flaky, and probably
crashed while holding this lock.  The process is
definitely not still running, the machine has only
been up for 6 days this last time!

Perhaps this isn't exactly a bug, but maybe a little bit
too respectful of locks?

On the other hand, since this stuff is running unattended,
there's nobody around to notice, or manually break the lock.
The build just ends up proceeding against an out-of-date
branch - perhaps we should be looking for failures back from
bzr and raise some sort of a warning, as this has managed to
go undetected for a month and a half of nightly builds.

Thoughts?

(bazaar 0.92, fwiw, although I don't think there's anything
version-specific here)