1.0 roadmap

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Nov 20 20:03:23 GMT 2007

Martin Pool wrote:
> It's time to do a release, and I think this one should be 1.0.
>
> I'm looking to review over the bug and merge list, and see what must
> come in first.  I intend to do a 1.0rc this week, with a view to 1.0
> next week.  I think the main things still to land are the updated user
> documentation, and the pack reconcile patch.  This will have knits
> still as the default format; we can recommend packs for people wanting
> something newer but faster.
>
> This is a milestone in Bazaar's development, but not the finish line -
> there's still many interesting and important things to do.  I think
> afterwards we should continue with the same 4 week cadence, with less
> variation or delay.

I'm not sure if there are specific bugs on this (I'm currently offline to
check). But from memory there are several small problems with packs (mostly
related to locking).

1) bzr diff -r ancestor:../branch
2) bzr cat
3) bzr export
4) Using bzr+ssh://. There is a problem when it tries to re-use a lock
(leave_lock_in_place is not implemented on Pack repositories, and Robert feels
you shouldn't need to, so it is a bug in the smart server.)

This means you can't use a heavy checkout of a pack repository, and I think
"bzr push bzr+ssh://" also fails, but I've only really tested the former.
5) Performance issues with pushing packs to knits. I have a patch. Nobody
looked at is as of my last e-mail sync.
6) Robert's performance enhancement for merge commits. (heads() is quite a bit
slower on the full graph because of all the extra round trips. Also, I found
that it was requesting the same nodes a lot between files, and going down to
the index code was moderately slow. Knits cache the information in a dict,
KnitPack seems to bisect the index when asked for this stuff.)
7) Robert's final implementation of reconcile for packs. I think this was
pretty close, though.

8) No annotation cache. For many operations this is okay. But one very useful
function is gannotate, and letting you step back through the history of the
file. (It was last changed in 2040.1.1, but that was only to change the
indenting, that line was actually introduced in 2030.1.2, oh and that is why,
good.)
For big files like builtins.py, 5s to jump to the next revision means it won't
be used.

9) I know Robert has some good ideas about how to evolve packs in the next few
releases. I would guess we would want to wait to make them the default until
after at least most of those have occurred. (Otherwise we will end up having a
recommended upgrade each month.)