Reasons for selecting Bazaar over other tools

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Nov 20 16:14:32 GMT 2007

Am Dienstag, den 20.11.2007, 18:38 +1000 schrieb Ian Clatworthy:
> With the pending release of 1.0, it's likely that we'll see a large
> increase in users aware of Bazaar and trying out Bazaar. Among the most
> common questions we're likely to be asked on the mailing list or IRC, I
> expect to see ...
>
>   " Why would I use Bazaar instead of Subversion?".
>
> This will be closely followed by "OK, DVCS rules but why would I select
> Bazaar over Git or Mercurial?". As I'm lazy, I wanted some documents
> that I could point people to each time rather than explaining it over
> and over again. :-)
>
> With this in mind, I've put together these Wiki pages:
>
> * http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrVsSvn
> * http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrVsGit
> * http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrVsHg.
>
> I'm no expert in the other tools, or Bazaar for that matter, but I hope
> these documents accurately reflect the feedback we receive from our user
> community on why Bazaar rocks vs the competition. If you have further
> insight into these things, please don't hesitate to tune/adjust/correct
> the documents.
Looks good, in particular the BzrVsGit and BzrVsHg pages.

There's two things I miss though; both hg and git support parallel
imports significantly better than Bazaar does at the moment.

There is something similar to BundleBuggy for other VCS called
Review-Board, http://review-board.org/ . I'm not sure how well it
compares though.

Cheers,

Jelmer