Committing a checkout as a different user?

Iwan Vosloo iwan at reahl.org
Tue Nov 20 12:50:38 GMT 2007

Hi there,

We use bzr for configuration of machines. We have a branch with config
in it, accessable vie bzr+ssh.

We then make a checkout of this branch on the machine being configured
(say in /etc). But of course that must be done as root. Commits must
also be done as root, since there are files in /etc that only root is
allowed to see.

Now, it would be nice if we could commit as user A when user A changed
some config and checks it in... But user B must be listed as having
committed if he does it.

But now we have a checkout, which remembers (using the bzr+ssh url) the
branch location and user name as whom it was originally checked out. So
we can only ever commit (and thus do the automatic push) as the user who
originally checked it out.

Is there a way you can specify as which user the bzr+ssh must happen for
"bzr commit" or (less important) "bzr update"?
(It's nice that the rest of the branch URL stays the same, ideally we
don't want to lose that.)

- Iwan