Eclipse Integration (was Re: Bazaar 1.0...)

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Nov 20 08:04:03 GMT 2007

> Andrew Cowie wrote:
> > I lost data due to `bzr switch` very early on, and the
> > experience continues to haunt me.
>
> Would you please either give me a bug report, or stop going on and on
> about this?  How on earth am I expected to improved the quality when I
> don't know what's wrong?

I don't think Andrew is saying it as a vague bug report.  Rather

 - if something's bad when a user originally encounters it, it takes a
while, or a positive contrary action, to overcome that experience
 - more concretely, he sees plugin commands as being less solid or
stable than builtins.

There's no in-principle reason why plugins can't be solid, but there
are some emergent reasons: they're not covered by pqm tests or
necessarily considered when people make other changes.  It's not clear
if they're supported or not, and relatively less people use and test
them.

There are some things we could do to make plugins more straightforward
to use and update, but even with programs that have very evolved
plugin systems, only a minority of users ever install them.

This is a reasonable tradeoff for features that are new, or
experimental, or relevant to only a few people.  However, once code
matures beyond that state we should look at closing the loop by
bringing them into bzr core, or at least making them shipped plugins.

--
Martin