about comparing bzr vs xxx

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Tue Nov 20 00:31:05 GMT 2007

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> I read carefully your recent work on the wiki, and I have some notes:
>
> * reflog format (hg, git) -- is not it called revlog?

Git has a reflog command
(http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-reflog.html) while
hg has a revlog format.

> * bzr vs hg -- you said that bzr don't need export command that hg has. But we also have export
> command. May be it's different, but this command used very often, especially to build releases tarballs.

export in hg dumps changeset headers and diffs, quite different to our
export command. Even so, I might take export out of that list. (We'd use
diff I think for the simple case and perhaps a plugin for more complex
usages of it.)

> * bz vs git -- "directories are branches..." section. you wrote: "There is no easy way to push a set
> of related branches at once currently in Bazaar - use rsync instead." Why no one aware about
> existence of repo-push plugin? It not very well maintained, but I recently fix some annoying bugs in
> it to make it fully usable with dirstate-tags format.

Yes, I should promote the repo-push plugin instead. I hadn't thought of
it, sorry.

> Overall feel about this texts: it's highly biased towards Bazaar. Maybe it's ok. In some sections
> you only shortly mention difficult parts that exists in another tools and then start very long
> explanation why bzr better. But this style of statement suppose that reader has very deep
> understanding of another tool. For people who don't have this knowledge it looks a bit "wtf".

It's ok to be biased towards Bazaar. :-) Still, the documents need to be
technically correct within the limits of genuinely different points of
view. I know the "depth" means that many people won't read beyond the
Overview sections. It is important though - capturing the care and
thought that has been put into Bazaar's design and implementation.

NOTE: I haven't announced these documents yet because they still need
some clean-up in some areas. Please treat them as "drafts" until I
explicitly advertise them on the mailing list. Having said that, if
there are Hg and Git refugees around, I'd *really* appreciate your
feedback given how infrequently I use those tools.

Thanks for the feedback,
Ian C.