Launchpad downtime on 22nd November

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Nov 19 19:31:00 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 19:13 +0000, Matthew Revell wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> On 19/11/2007, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
>
> > > Launchpad downtime 02.00 UTC 22nd November 2007
>
> > It's a bit strange you need to send this out to random mailing lists
> > rather than us seeing it on launchpad as we use it.
>
> I think it's a bit harsh to say I sent it to "random mailing lists" :)

Perhaps arbitrary is better?

> The Bazaar project makes extensive use of Launchpad and I'm not
> certain that everyone who works on Bazaar reads launchpad-users.

I have other projects that are nearly-entirely hosted on launchpad
(missing features of lp prevent it being a 1-stop shop as yet), but
their lists didn't get a mail. And while they are certainly less active
than bzr (which is very active :)) they are still dependent on the
service.

> Would people rather I didn't send similar notices to this list in future?

I think there are two interesting things:
 - planned outages, identified in advance.
 - actual outages, when lp is down.

For the former, having an RSS feed(e.g.
http://news.launchpad.net/category/downtime), or a -announce list which
gets notices about such things, without the volume of a general
discussion list would be good. (And why isn't this planned downtime on
the launchpad news feed ?)

For the latter, the lp is down page that comes up is ok, but even better
would be having a dedicated status URL that is up even when lp is down.
This page might say something like

"There is no scheduled downtime for launchpad." and when you have one
planned say "The next scheduled downtime is the 22nd November."

My personal reaction here is against redundancy. I don't need to read
about launchpad downtime in every project I'm part of that makes heavy
use of launchpad. (And I didn't see a message to ubuntu-devel, though if
you sent to ubuntu-announce it will be in moderation at the moment -
ubuntu is an even heavier user of launchpad than bzr).

So yes, my preference is that the notification problem be solved
consistently for all users of launchpad.

-Rob