bzr cat does not work in knitpack repo: lock required

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sat Nov 17 00:08:49 GMT 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-17 at 01:11 +0200, Alexander Belchenko wrote:

> Robert, it seems that almost all commands that want to work with repository now broken
> in knitpack format. And all with the same problem: repository require lock now.
> Tonight I ran into this problem, now with cat:

Indeed, packs are less able to 'just grab stuff' unlocked, because its
much more expensive to figure out what a given 'knit' is than it is in a
knit repo - we have to parse the pack-names, then some of the indices
etc. So the very core requires a lock be held, and various places we
have been sloppy are now showing up.

This is one of the reasons to get plenty of dogfood happening so we can
identify affected commands and fix them before making any version of
packs the default format.

> It's really annoying. Something should be decided for this locking watershed.

Well, I'm happy to discuss proposals. But at the moment I think the
thing to do is for early adopters to report issues, and us to fix them.

-Rob