[MERGE][bug #6700] diff on branches without working trees

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Thu Nov 15 06:03:38 GMT 2007

This has been on my TODO list for as long as I've been working on Bazaar
so it's with much pleasure that I submit this patch for review ...

As bug #6700 says, "bzr diff -r10..20 http://foo" is unsupported. This
ought to fix that. To be explicit, diff has pretty much insisted on a
working tree in the past and this patch does away with that limitation.
It also lets you compare two tree-less branches and apply a filter of
specific files to that comparison if you wish.

Some notes for reviewers:

1. I *think* the extra_trees handling is still correct and all tests
   pass. Semantically though, it's not obvious to me whether new_tree
   ought to be compared to the first or second tree. Does it matter?

2. I haven't deprecated diff.diff_cmd_helper(). Should I?

3. I was a little torn between putting "DWIW UI logic" in diff.py
   instead of builtins.py. In the end, I followed the previous
   approach (diff_cmd_helper is in diff.py) and kept builtins.py simple.

Ian C.