If bzrtools commands aren't experimental, merge them into bzr

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Thu Nov 15 05:14:59 GMT 2007

Andrew Cowie wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 08:02 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
>> stop going on about this?
>
> What do you want me to say?

Nothing.  Your experience does not correlate with any feedback I've had
from anyone else on Bzrtools.  If you had been a responsible community
member and reported the bug when you experienced it, it would not now
exist.  I have already asked you in the past to tell me what went wrong
so that I could fix it.

As it is, your story is highly implausible, because switch only operates
on lightweight checkouts.  It's pretty hard to see how it could affect a
branch, much less a repository.  Extraordinary claims require
extraordinary proof, but I'll settle for a script to reproduce it.

> bzrtools was advertised as "experimental" and "features under development".

That's not accurate advertising.  Who told you this?

bzrtools is a collection of add-ons.

Some of them have dependencies that we don't want to impose on Bazaar:
- - baz-import depends on Baz
- - graph-ancestry depends on dot
- - rspush depends on rsync

Some of them are UI experiments:
- - cbranch
- - import
- - branch-history
- - zap

Some are not general enough for Bazaar
- - clean-tree
- - shelve

Some are kept out to shorten the default command list
- - branches
- - fetch-ghosts
- - patch
- - multi-pull

> As a prospective user I only had to be
> told "oh, that's not core Bazaar, so it's not covered by the test suite

Bazaar doesn't ship with code for testing bzrtools.  That would be
silly.  bzrtools' test code ships with bzrtools itself.  After bzrtools
is installed, its tests run when you run "bzr selftest".  It currently
has 101 test cases.

So "not covered by the test suite" is highly misleading at best.

> and we don't support it" once to make up my mind about that topic.

I support it.

> The "switch" feature is still not in Bazaar after > 15 months.

"switch" was not put into bzrtools in order to merge it into Bazaar.  It
was put into bzrtools so that people could use it.

> If `bzr switch` actually is ready and meets the quality standards of the
> rest of Bazaar, then maybe it will be able to make its way into bzr
> 0.93?

Not a priority for me.  If someone else wants to do it, that's fine by me.

Aaron