Eclipse Integration (was Re: Bazaar 1.0...)

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Wed Nov 14 11:15:15 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 02:06 -0300, Guillermo Gonzalez wrote:
> I agree mostly, only I can say is I'm trying to take bzr-eclipse there,
> but is a lot of work and for the moment I only can work on it in my spare
> time.

Which is more or less my point. As long as it remains a third-party
effort being done in what little volunteer effort you can contribute,
it'll have a hard time. It's a HUGE job and needs significant resources.

[I face the same problem in my project. It's a huge effort, and without
funding won't be done until sometime in 2015. This is a bit of a
concern]

>    I can implement 'bzr switch' in the next days.

One of my worries is that `bzr switch` is not in the core UI. That
raises concerns about its quality level (relative to the high level in
Bazaar itself). I lost data due to `bzr switch` very early on, and the
experience continues to haunt me. In fact we uninstalled bzrtools as a
result and only use the core bzr + bzr-gtk to visualize history.

[Don't ask me what happened, I don't remember, just that it did. I
reported it in person to Martin at the time. I'm sure it was PEBKAC but
nevertheless _not_ allowing you to shoot yourself in the foot is what
sets Bazaar apart from Git]

In any case, since Bazaar itself doesn't know about other peer branches
of a given project (except for a few special cases like "where I've
remembered I'm pushing to"), figuring out how to model that in Eclipse
may be tricky. It's really about figuring out a blindingly perfect UI
that Just Works impeccably cleanly for the 80% case rather than
does-everything-but-does-it-in-an-ugly-cumbersome-way 100% solution.

AfC
Sydney