[MERGE] Automatic discovery of tests

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Tue Nov 13 22:03:28 GMT 2007

John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Aaron Bentley wrote:
>> Aaron Bentley has voted reject.
>> Status is now: Vetoed
>> Comment:
>> There seems to be consensus that breaking the test suite isn't acceptable.
>

> How did this break the test suite.

It prevents it from working with standalone installers.

> And I certainly don't feel a consensus was reached.
>
> The last thing from Alexander was that it was fine, as I believe the same from
> Vincent.

The last think Vincent said was "The list goes on BUT don't touch my
test suite ! Make it better instead, that's a GIFT damn it and it's
improving constantly."

I tend to agree.  So did Martin.  Robert has his own reasons for opposing.

AFAICT, Alexander was the only one saying it was acceptable to break the
test suite on Windows.

But since you feel there's some room for discussion still, I'll retract
my veto.  Sorry 'bout that.

> It doesn't break the test suite for normal usage (installing bzr directly). It
> is only broken for the standalone installer.

Wouldn't it also be broken with easy_install on *nix?

> tests from files that we list. So it isn't introducing any new problems. In
> fact, I think it is closing a hole where we add the tests, but forget to update
> the lists.

I find it annoying to do those additional updates, but I'm more
concerned about the hole where we add a test, but for some reason the
auto-gatherer stops detecting it, and we never notice.

> If the only blocker is because of the standalone installer, I can write the
> code to list tests inside a zip file.

Well, that would certainly reduce the opposition, but there is the
additional question of whether it's ever The Right Thing.

Aaron