obsolete-packs with knitpack-experimental repository format

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Nov 13 21:09:49 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 14:16 -0500, Adam Mercer wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've converted a few of my branches over to the knitpack-experimental
> format and am so far very pleased with the results, I do however have
> a question regarding the obsolete-packs directory within
> .bzr/repository directory.
>
> According to the documentation at
> <http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/latest/developers/knitpack.html> the
> obsolete-packs directory contains "packs that have been repacked and
> are no longer normally needed". Under what circumstances could these
> packs be needed and is it safe to remove these?

bzr.dev will automatically remove them one [auto]pack operation later.
We keep them as an insurance policy against bugs/filesystem race
conditions. (e.g. we think the data has been written to disk, but
actually NFS was used and the new pack written is empty).

Generally its safe to remove them yourself one extra operation after a
bzr commit/push/pull finishes.

Cheers,
Rob