Eclipse Integration (was Re: Bazaar 1.0...)

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Tue Nov 13 21:06:24 GMT 2007

Andrew Cowie wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 12:37 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
>> Should we...
>
> I had *another* client reject Bazaar this week due to the lack of mature
> Eclipse integration.

Sigh.

> This isn't something that will be achieved piecemeal; the user
> experience there needs to be _polished_ and not haphazard, otherwise it
> reflects badly on Bazaar itself. Which is a shame, because I know some
> people are working hard on it, but it's not the sort of thing to get
> love from the core developers who are, after all, a Python mafia. :)

In former lives, I was in the Java, Delphi and C++ mafia working on
large GUI apps. Other core developers have the skills as well so that's
not the issue. We're focussing on performance first and foremost because
our users are telling us that's where our focus ought to be. For
example, the survey results are pretty clear about this (see Q12 of
http://www.surveymonkey.com/sr.aspx?sm=FDeDsLzaZ0AKNEATuA0QklWayMZKGfHcrP1U4V55jAY%3d).
When one multiplies the rating average by the response count, here are
the figures:

1. Network performance (423)
2. Local performance (280)
3. Cherry-pick support (253)
4. Better documentation (248)
5. GUI interfaces (218)
5. IDE integration (218)

So we're getting the message loud and clear re GUI interfaces & IDE
integration but the message re performance, particularly network
operations, is louder still.

> Really shocking for me was that the crew I mentioned at the top are a
> financial company working in Perl (not Java); you'd think they'd be all
> comfortable on the command line but for them programming means
> in-the-IDE and tools that don't integrate just aren't going to be
> considered. Huh.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I'm very comfortable at the command
line but hadn't needed to use a command line interface to VCS tools for
10 years prior to using bzr.

Ian C.