[MERGE] Use normalize_log to more accurately test blackbox log output.

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Nov 13 20:52:16 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 22:01 +0900, Kent Gibson wrote:

> Since I've been poking around in the test_log recently I noticed one
> or two things that I felt could be improved.
>
> This probably isn't the "nice pattern matcher" that Robert Collins had
> in mind,

I had in mind hooking up doctest's logic which is very suitable.

> it is applying the log normaliser already used in
> tests/test_log to the blackbox log tests.

Hmm. I think its good to get more code reuse. However looking at this it
appears that the actual output from the log reporter is completely
ignored.

E.g. it could be printing complete garbage for the timestamp and we
wouldn't know because the normaliser just looks for the start of the
line, not the end.

Your patch is otherwise fine, but I'd like us to be sure we're not
opening a test coverage hole wider; and if we are we should correct that
while we are here, because otherwise we'll fail the 'does not decrease
test coverage %' assessment for the patch.

-Rob