[MERGE] Automatic discovery of tests

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Fri Nov 9 16:17:55 GMT 2007

Vincent Ladeuil пишет:
> Sorry if I offended you Alexander,

It's not you. It's just my integral feeling for last 2 years.

>     bialix> selftest is hidden command and therefore only
>     bialix> hardcore users/semi-bzr-developers (like me) know how
>     bialix> to run it, during selftest run there is too much
>     bialix> warning messages that regular users don't know how to
>     bialix> interpret. And bzr.exe has some additional
>     bialix> limitation, so some tests should be skipped for
>     bialix> bzr.exe.
>
> Ok. I get the point, so go ahead, drop selftest from bzr.exe,

It's not very simple, actually. selftest is integrated too deep in bzrlib.

>     bialix> So I don't care about selftest, because many of bzr
>     bialix> flaws on windows discovered by users without any test
>     bialix> suite.
>
> That's where the problem is *today*. Ideally the test suite
> should be able to say: you lack symlink support you can't do
> that, your locale is badly configured fix it, your filesystem
> can't do that, etc.
>
> May we should define a smaller test suite focused on ensuring
> basics.

Here I'm agree with you completely.

>     bialix> It was, but now it don't. I hate that there is test
>     bialix> that just incorrect (see
>     bialix> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/158596).
>
> Add an ExpectedFailure in the test suite ! Please !

http://bundlebuggy.aaronbentley.com/request/%3C47270725.40004@ukr.net%3E
Done in this patch. Also that patch try to convert many known win32 tests problems to known
failures. Do you like to review it? Please?

>     bialix> So, Vincent, I really don't understand, what do you
>     bialix> mean, when you said "in long term".  If 2 years is
>     bialix> not enough long term, then I don't know.
>
> 10 years is long term :)
> 2 years is middle term.
>
> We're talking VCS here, VCS is here to stay.

OK, I get the point. I was wrong in my wails.

Alexander.