more performance work?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Nov 7 20:04:56 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 20:45 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> I don't see any reasons why that's the case for tracking cherrypicks,
> tracking copies or keyword expansion though.

tracking copies such that it does the right thing requires deep changes
in inventories. fileid:revisionid is not sufficient in our model to deal
with copies.

Cherrypicks take two forms - partial commits of merges and commits of
partial merges; to make merge, missing and log DTRT after a cherrypick
you need a more sophisticated concept of the revision graph.

mmm I guess I'm really saying 'just recording and not using is
pointless, because you won't record the right data'. (And its not
obvious what the right data is until you have an implementation that
*uses* it).

> > Lots of features which can only come in on format bumps. Watersheds
> > should only occur when a feature has been used in a tree - until
> then
> > exporting to a down level repository should be possible. (Rich roots
> > hasn't been done this way, but I don't think this applies to the
> other
> > features we listed).

> Watershed format bumps are bad, especially since you have to upgrade
> the
> full repository. A new format isn't really usable for the public
> branches of your average FOSS project until it's supported by a
> version
> of Bazaar that's in the releases of the major Linux distros; otherwise
> regular users, running the bzr that came with their distro, can't
> check
> out those branches.

Totally agreed.

-Rob