more performance work?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Nov 7 18:47:18 GMT 2007

Am Donnerstag, den 08.11.2007, 02:42 +1100 schrieb Robert Collins:
> On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 16:31 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > More performance work would certainly be nice.
> >
> > It'd be really nice to have custom file properties in - perhaps as part
> > of the inventory splitup ? Once custom file properties are supported, it
> > is possible to support a whole bunch of features through plugins without
> > requiring format bumps:

> > * custom file-specific merging
> This doesn't need properties - it's doable today, and I thought
> abentley
> had something in progress there though I may be wrong.
Where would you specify what merge algorithm should be used for a
particular file?

> What I'd really like to point out here is that *storage* of the data for
> a feature is -not- why we have format bumps.
>
> We have format bumps to ensure that the new /logic/ required to
> correctly process the data of a new (or add-on-supplied) feature, is
> present, when the data is, so that old versions don't mangle (by either
> inaction or action) the logical state of that feature for the version
> that introduced it.
For all of the features specified above, I think they can all be
advisory - in other words, it's ok if the data is present but ignored by
older versions of bzr. For example, for line endings, it's the advised
format in which the data should be stored.

> file properties as a way to consolidate/reduce duplication of effort in
> the serialisation of data are a fine thing. But they *don't reduce
> format bumps at all*.
This means there are a lot of format bumps ahead (presumably watershed
upgrades?).

Cheers,

Jelmer

Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org