more performance work?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Nov 7 15:42:11 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 16:31 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> More performance work would certainly be nice.
>
> It'd be really nice to have custom file properties in - perhaps as part
> of the inventory splitup ? Once custom file properties are supported, it
> is possible to support a whole bunch of features through plugins without
> requiring format bumps:
>
> * line endings

These will require a format bump.

> * cherrypicking

These will require a format bump.

> * tracking svn properties

This may not, unless you want it to change bzr's behaviour.

> * tracking copies

This will require a format bump.

> * keyword expansion

This should be done with a format bump IMO though I can imagine some
hacky ways of doing it without.

> * custom file-specific merging

This doesn't need properties - it's doable today, and I thought abentley
had something in progress there though I may be wrong.

What I'd really like to point out here is that *storage* of the data for
a feature is -not- why we have format bumps.

We have format bumps to ensure that the new /logic/ required to
correctly process the data of a new (or add-on-supplied) feature, is
present, when the data is, so that old versions don't mangle (by either
inaction or action) the logical state of that feature for the version
that introduced it.

file properties as a way to consolidate/reduce duplication of effort in
the serialisation of data are a fine thing. But they *don't reduce
format bumps at all*.

-Rob