more performance work?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Nov 7 13:01:01 GMT 2007

So John, Ian, Andrew, Martin and I are currently at a Canonical allhands
meeting. As part of this we're getting a few minutes here and there to
talk bzr.

I think our current feelings are roughly that (well, I know *mine* are,
and I'm hoping where I misrepresent things that I'll get corrected):
 - commit is still not *quite* there in terms of performance.
 - we need to improve the serialisation of inventories to really fix
commit
 - network performance vis-a-vis the hpss is getting there and in
another few releases should be in good shape - particularly once it is
able to send pack format data and honour the find_ghosts flag to fetch.
 - that once network performance is good - when we /feel/ fast to do
simple push and pull operations - that nested trees are probably the
biggest 'missing feature' we'd like to focus on.
 - a pack annotation cache needs to come along somewhere here :)

Are there obvious things I'm missing, in terms of thinking about where
we should be putting our energies?

-Rob