[RFC] knitpacks-richroot (was: Re: Feedback on migration to bzr)

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Oct 30 19:20:55 GMT 2007

Am Mittwoch, den 31.10.2007, 03:01 +1100 schrieb Robert Collins:
> On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 16:48 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > > As a non-default format, I think this would be fine.  AIUI, it's trivial
> > > to introduce new knitpack formats when only the serializer is different.
> > >
> > > Putting it in soon would reduce the effect of the watershed as the
> > > format becomes more common.  I'm somewhat inclined to emit a warning at
> > > init time about its incompatibility with older bzrs.
> >
> > Yeah, indeed; warning makes sense. I guess I'll have a look at adding
> > such a format then. Any objections or suggestions for the name of such a
> > format? Also, there's no need for a knit-variant of this format, is
> > there?
> I have an objection; Nested trees are not -so far- off; AIUI Wouter has
> the patch to 'make them usable', so working with him to polish it off is
> IMO the best use of time.
I'm happy to wait - this sort of change will have to wait to 0.93
anyway, so that would allow 4 weeks for subtrees to get finished and
merged. I doubt I'll be able to contribute much - I'm not familiar with
any of the subtree internals, and will be busy with exams next week and
travelling the week after that.

> if we're going to watershed users, lets get both the formats in.
Both == dirstate-richroots and knitpack-richroots ?

Cheers,

Jelmer
Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org