[RFC] knitpacks-richroot (was: Re: Feedback on migration to bzr)

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Oct 30 16:01:33 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 16:48 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 30.10.2007, 09:16 -0400 schrieb Aaron Bentley:
> > Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > > On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 08:06:18AM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > > I would still like to propose a --knitpacks-richroot format or
> > > something, for use by bzr-svn, if subtrees are some time off. The
> > > watershed has to happen at some point in time anyway, may as well be now.
> > As a non-default format, I think this would be fine.  AIUI, it's trivial
> > to introduce new knitpack formats when only the serializer is different.
> >
> > Putting it in soon would reduce the effect of the watershed as the
> > format becomes more common.  I'm somewhat inclined to emit a warning at
> > init time about its incompatibility with older bzrs.
>
> Yeah, indeed; warning makes sense. I guess I'll have a look at adding
> such a format then. Any objections or suggestions for the name of such a
> format? Also, there's no need for a knit-variant of this format, is
> there?

I have an objection; Nested trees are not -so far- off; AIUI Wouter has
the patch to 'make them usable', so working with him to polish it off is
IMO the best use of time.

if we're going to watershed users, lets get both the formats in.
Packs are still not polished enough that they are the default; as such
the number of users that would create data in this new format is going
to be vanishingly small (only bzr-svn users AFAICT), and using packs as
a default for conversions will be even *more* surprising to end users
(given all our docs are geared for knits today) than the current
behaviour.

-Rob