Feedback on migration to bzr

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Oct 30 12:30:36 GMT 2007

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 08:06:18AM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> >> But it would still be a watershed,
> > Why does it have to be a watershed?
> With non-rich roots, there's no way of storing the last-modifying
> revision, so when necessary, we pretend that it changes for every
> revision.  With rich roots, it changes extremely rarely.  There's no way
> of representing that in a non-rich-root format.
Ahh, thanks, I didn't think of that.

> > Would it be possible
> > to simply limit downgrades to revisions that have their tree root set
> > to bzrlib.inventory.ROOT_ID.
> The only revisions that could be downgraded would be those that were
> originally converted from xml5.
Hmm, so that basically makes that idea of allowing limited downgrades
impractical.

I would still like to propose a --knitpacks-richroot format or
something, for use by bzr-svn, if subtrees are some time off. The
watershed has to happen at some point in time anyway, may as well be now.

Cheers,

Jelmer

--
Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> - http://jelmer.vernstok.nl/