[MERGE] * Obsolete packs are now cleaned up by pack and autopack operations.

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Oct 29 21:38:22 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 16:28 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> Robert Collins wrote:

> >> Why not just delete them in place, rather than renaming and then deleting them?
> >
> > We don't.
>
> Well the question wasn't whether we do. But why not just delete them.

Oh. Because its very hard to be sure the new pack we've written is
actually able to be read back - e.g. a crash straight after bzr exits
may leave data not on disk; and sync() doesn't really solve this (e.g.
NFS/hard disk write caches etc).

> >> Unless you are deleting them before renaming the new ones into place.
> >
> > We do.
>
> BB:approve

Thanks. Martin - can I send this in during the freeze, or would you like
to wait for trunk to open again ? I think this is safe to add to 0.92.

> Just to be clear, this means that revision 10 will have 2x the storage space
> (because it repacks for the first time.) But all future revisions will have
> something < 2x. Because at most you are repacking the whole repository, but
> most of the time you will repack much less than that.

Yup.

-Rob