BundleReader, Containers, and file IO

Andrew Bennetts andrew at canonical.com
Mon Oct 29 08:41:14 GMT 2007

Aaron Bentley wrote:
[...]
> I think what happens with pipes is that when you over-read, you get a
> short read.  Then the next time you read, you get an IO error.  That's
> how my Linux behaves anyhow.  If that behavior is cross-platform, we
> should be fine.

That's good to know!  My dim recollection is that pipes on Win32 aren't as
friendly, but perhaps that's just because at the time I was trying for fully
non-blocking IO.

[...]
> We don't seem to have working pipe support at the moment anyhow, so I
> wouldn't want to spend so much effort on it.

Fair enough.  In that case I won't worry about it for now; it's good enough that
we know it'll be possible with a reasonable amount of effort when we do decide
to implement that.  So I'll submit a follow-up bundle that deprecates
ContainerReader in favour of ContainerPushParser.

-Andrew.