[MERGE][0.92] windows python-based installer: shortcut for uninstall action

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Sat Oct 27 18:30:41 BST 2007

John Arbash Meinel пишет:

> Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>> This patch adds to python-based installer ability to create special shortcut
>> for uninstaller in Start -> Programs -> Bazaar menu.
>>

> BB:comment

> +
> +    # uninstall shortcut
> +    uninst = os.path.join(sys.exec_prefix, 'Removebzr.exe')
> +    dst = os.path.join(fldr, 'Uninstall Bazaar.lnk')
> +    create_shortcut(uninst,
> +                    'Uninstall Bazaar',
> +                    dst,
> +                    '-u bzr-wininst.log',
> +                    sys.exec_prefix,
> +                    )
> +    file_created(dst)
>

> Should this be "Removebzr" or "Remove-Bzr" or "Remove-Bazaar". Removebzr
> is a little odd. I also would usually call this "uninstall", not "remove".

It's not my whim -- it's the way how windows version of Python and
python-based installer works.

> Most new programs choose to avoid adding the uninstaller to the start
> menu, and instead use the Control Panel/Add Remove Programs
> functionality. Does the installer already set it up so that works?

Yes, python-based installer already did this. But for me have special
shortcut in start menu is much faster (see below).

> I'm not strictly opposed to this change. I'm just not sure it is
> specifically needed. If you have strong convictions on the matter,
> you're welcome to go ahead.

On my laptop I have to wait about 30-40 seconds until Add Remove Program
is actually shows me list of installed programs. I don't know why
it took so long, may be because of bunch of installed programs, may be
because of bunch of installed windows updates and patches. Anyway having
special item in Start menu help me a lot when I test many different
versions of installers. And when the list finally appears I need to
scroll down to find actual entry. It's boring experience.