Equivalent to svn tags?

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 20:01:28 BST 2007

On 10/25/07, Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd at over-yonder.net> wrote:

> - It's a pull, not a branch, so I still have to individually branch
>   all the branches.  Closely related:
>
> - It doesn't bring in NEW branches.  Any time a new branch appears, I
>   have to somehow get notified and manually create it.  That's big fat
>   suckage.
>
> - It pulls "all branches at this location in my fs", not "all branches
>   in this logical set", which can have other side effects.  For
>   instance, I may have my own branches around there, that have one of
>   the upstream branches as parents, and I may end up pulling over a
>   currently-fully-merged branch where I didn't want that mainline
>   trashed.
>
> - It treats it all branch-at-a-time still.  Doing a no-op pull can
>   easily take several seconds just to find that out.  In a
>   multi-branch setup, they'd all be coming from the same place, so all
>   of them could be checked at once, and 5 seconds later I'd see
>   "nothing to do".  If it takes 5 seconds to find out there's nothing
>   to do for each branch, though, and I have 15-20 sitting there...  it
>   takes minutes just to do nothing (this is another SS topic
>   intersection).

I'm so happy that its not just me desperately needing this sort of thing.
I always thought that nested branches would solve this problem:
To be able to manipulate multiple branches in one go.
Where we have a set of branches we want to use together (branch, pull, push,
even commit).
(the branches may or may not be related)

I have this problem over and over where I have a huge project
which is made up of lots of sub-projects
with certain dependencies. Not all the developers branching them
needs/wants all of them. (Usually only a sub set would be deployed to
production)

It will be sweet to have some sort of plug-in / utility program
which can be configured with a working set of branches
and their local & remote locations.
And to be able to do certain operations eg. update / upgrade / pull / even
commit
on the whole lot in one go.

It will also be nice like you said to make the initial branching off the
lot of branches smooth too (maybe some sort of interactive
configurationing tool can help).

regards
marius