Equivalent to svn tags?

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 25 17:08:59 BST 2007

Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 10:25:57AM -0400 I heard the voice of
> Aaron Bentley, and lo! it spake thus:

> I see that as a social issue; managing what's in a group of branches,
> rather than a denial of the usefulness of the branch groups.  (Note
> that I don't necessarily endorse cramming the concepts of 'branch
> group' and 'repo' together; that may turn out to be the _simplest_
> thing, but it's not necessarily the best).

Well, I guess I wouldn't stand in the way of such an approach, but I'd
definitely want to be able to opt out of it.  I'm happy to use the
internet when I want access to old branches, especially if all the
releases are tagged.

>> So this is exactly what tags are useful for-- they provide a way to
>> reference particular releases, without
>
> But I'm not necessarily interested in particular revisions.  I'm
> interested in branches.

Could you say a bit more about why, then?

When you were discussing bzr.dev, you said:
> If older releases were just a 'co' of their release branch away, I'd
> test them too.

I don't see why you'd want to test revisions other than the release
revision, and it's certainly easy to check out a tag.

> This isn't svn; we KNOW that branches and
> tags are two different things, and both have uses.  And using trickery
> to insert revs into your ancestry that don't belong, just to make a
> revision visible, is definitely a hack.

I *think* this is a reference to John's:

>> bzr merge ../branch-0.3.0
>> # Revert any 0.3.0 specific changes, like the version properties
>> bzr commit -m "Merging branch-0.3.0 into trunk"

I strongly recommend doing that irrespective of tagging.  So for me, it
wouldn't be "just to make a revision visible", thus not a hack.

> This sort of thing doesn't show up in bzr because we don't _have_ any
> long-lived public branches.

What about nested trees?
http://code.aaronbentley.com/bzr/bzrrepo/nested-trees

I think this qualifies as public, because other people have used it.
And it's certainly long-lived.

> It would almost be
> tautological that I'd want to mirror the whole thing, since the
> criterion would be pretty much "would this branch be generally useful
> to the community".

Well, I still think that you're not giving enough credit to individual
preferences.

> I'm confident that in that sort of community, walking up and offering
> a VCS by saying "Look, you have to individually and explicitly name
> every upstream branch you want to track"

Who's saying that?  It's incredibly easy to mirror
http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/.  It's just rsync instead of cvsup.

Aaron