[MERGE] [PACKS] renaming of experimental to knitpack

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Thu Oct 25 06:23:31 BST 2007

Martin Pool has voted tweak.
Status is now: Conditionally approved
Comment:

+   * New ``knitpack-experimental`` directory format. This is compatible
with
+     the dirstate-tags format but uses a smarter storage design that
greatly
+     speeds up many operations, both local and remote. (Robert Collins)

s/directory/repository/

Can we add, say:

   ``--format knitpack-experimental`` can be passed to init,
init-repository and
   upgrade.

NEWS should also mention the knitpack-subtrees format.

I had expected the format name would not include '-experimental' but
it's ok to
have it there; it does make things reasonably obvious to the user
specifying
the command without needing a --allow-experimental option.  We could
remove it in
future but perhaps continue to accept the old -experimental name.
(Which would
make it a bit like the x-foo prefix in some internet standards, which
may warm
Robert's heart. :-)

+   * Experimental directory formats can now be clearly marked as such.

   'can now be marked with .experimental = True'

+            if key in ('dirstate', 'dirstate-tags',
'dirstate-with-subtree',
+                'knitpack-experimental',
'knitpack-subtree-experimental'):
+                expected = 'dirstate or dirstate-tags or
knitpack-experimental'

This is correct within the scope of Ian's patch but I badly want to get
better way to represent formats to the user.  (There is a bug for it,
but lp is
offline for maintenance.  It would make a small and sweet change if
anyone
(Oddbloke?) would like to try it.

For details, see:
http://bundlebuggy.aaronbentley.com/request/%3C472023AB.2060204%40internode.on.net%3E