[RFC] branches are diverged: sometimes branches completely unrelated

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Wed Oct 24 20:02:53 BST 2007

On (24/10/07 11:24), Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today my coworker ran in very funny and ugly situation.
> He wanted to pull changes from some branch, and `bzr pull`
> said that branches are diverged. When I suggest to run
> `bzr missing` we saw veeeery looong output because
> these branches was unrelated at all (he by mistake
> cd to different project). I.e. these branches are completely
> different, but yes, they probably diverged in the sense
> of English words (I'm not sure here).
>
> IMO, in this situation it's better if bzr says that branches
> completely different so user can understand his own mistake
> faster.

I also agree.

It may be desirable to have a way (like there is for merge) to say do it
anyway. However I don't agree, as if the user knows the branches share
no ancestor then they can get the same information with two bzr log
calls, and all they probably want to do is merge the branches, and the
information in missing isn't going to change that.

So, not much more information there than "I agree".

Thanks,

James

--
  James Westby   --    GPG Key ID: B577FE13    --     http://jameswestby.net/
  seccure key - (3+)k7|M*edCX/.A:n*N!>|&7U.L#9E)Tu)T0>AM - secp256r1/nistp256