What to do about HPSS protocol backwards compatibility for faster push?

Andrew Bennetts andrew at canonical.com
Thu Oct 18 01:46:17 BST 2007

Andrew Bennetts wrote:
[...]
> The specific case is I'm thinking of is that I want to implement a smart method
> to add a set of revisions to a repository (like the recently added method to
> retrieve a set of revisions).  Some options:

And the winner (for the immediate problem) is...

>   2) always try the large request, and then fallback, but also warn the user
>      that they should upgrade the server to get much better performance.

I'm now pretty comfortable this will be good enough.  As Robert points out
version mismatches can be slow for other reasons anyway (e.g. due to different
repository formats).

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I wasn't expecting so many responses!

-Andrew.