What to do about HPSS protocol backwards compatibility for fasterpush?

John Yates jyates at netezza.com
Wed Oct 17 21:31:26 BST 2007

Aaron Bentley wrote:

> What about just advertising capabilities in the initial handshake?
>
> This could either be inferred from the version, or be explicit like smtp.

This was my thought as well.  Further I would strongly advise inferring capabilities from the version.  Doing so will enforce a highly desirable capability subset / superset total order.

The alternative is to court the sort crushing testing and verification burden faced by participants in the SMB/CIFS community.

/john