[RFC] [MERGE] Help first lines

Matthew Revell matthew.revell at canonical.com
Wed Oct 17 19:27:06 BST 2007

Hi,

I've run through "bzr commands help" and clarified the one line
summaries. I updated these in builtin.py - I assume that's the right
place.

This merge directive also has my changes to the mini-tutorial. I tried
to use bzr send -r last:1 and bzr send -r date:today and a couple of
other combinations to give only my changes to builtin.py but with no
luck.

Some questions:

bzr check: "This command checks various invariants..." Can you guys
offer me an example of what an "invariant" is in this context?

bzr diff: "Show differences in the working tree or between revisions."
I'm not really sure what the first part means. Differences in the
working tree and the parent branch, or what?

bzr ignore: is this effectively the opposite of bzr add?

bzr info: Can we be more specific about what information is shown?
Otherwise, the help description is a bit redundant.

bzr init-repository: Is this to create a shared, centralised
repository? Or is it to create a single repository with many working
trees? In both cases, I'm not sure I understand quite what the purpose
is.

bzr merge: "Perform a three way merge" - I don't understand how this
is a three way merge. Isn't there a parent branch and a target branch?
Where's the third part?

bzr reconcile: Can we explain a little more about how this works? For
example: is there a better chance of it working if you specify another
branch?

bzr register-branch: where is the help text for that? I couldn't find
a launchpad.py or similar.

Thanks!

--
Matthew Revell