Getting Started with Bazaar presentation updated (and ready for the masses)

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Wed Oct 17 15:36:50 BST 2007

New version uploaded with the feedback from everyone included. The one
comment I'm yet to act on is the "... on the shoulders of giants"
comment. Apparently, "Standing on the shoulders of giants", as made
famous by Newton, *may* have been an insult. It's not my goal to insult
other products here so it's just as well I misquoted by saying "Building
on the shoulders of giants". :-) If anyone thinks another phrase would
convey the message better, let me know. You learn something new everyday!

Other explicit feedback below ...

John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> The problem with presentations is that they don't have associated commentary.
> So while you can see the slides, you don't get the verbal descriptions. And I
> know I've always been taught that the slides should be augmenting the speech,
> because you don't want the audience to be too focused on your slides and not
> hearing what you are saying. And you certainly don't want to be reading your
> slides to the audience.

All true. The goal here is more 'course' than 'presentation' though so a
degree of 'useful as reference later' is appropriate.

> You probably should use 'send them a "merge directive"' rather than 'send them
> a "bundle"'. I personally prefer the term bundle, but as it has been used once,
> and we are now superseding it with something else... MD is more accurate, and
> handles the fact that the request doesn't even have to have the revision data.
> But it is also much harder to have a conversation about sending MD back and
> forth. (The fact that you even have to say, "well they don't have to contain a
> bundle", means they are more complex, and while it is generally ignored, does
> add a bit more mental effort.)

To be correct, I've changed the name to 'merge directive'. The follow-up
emails were interesting. I like quite a few:

1. Merge pack (as you suggested)
2. Merge recipe
3. Merge bundle
4. smurf. :-)

If we change the name, I'll change the slides then.

> On the SVN slide you have "dumb merging" and "dumb renaming". I might suggest
> "simple merging". Though we really want "overly simple merging".

I've gone with 'limited ...' as Aaron suggested.

> Page 26: Exercise 1: Getting Help
> is followed directly by
> Page 27: Personal Version Control
>
> I don't know if you meant to fill out P26 more, or if that is a page that you
> were going to start talking ad-lib, or what is going on. But it is hard to
> follow as a standard user.

The exercises are meant to be hand-on times when attendees grab their
laptops/PCs and try it. I've added a suggested time period for each and
an icon to those pages to make that clearer.

> Do you have a set of notes about what you want to say on each slide? I know
> Martin does that. I tend to just shoot-from-the-hip. But it might help clarify
> the text on some of the slides.

Not yet. When I give the tutorial in November, I'll see if I can throw
them together then.

Ian C.