What to do about HPSS protocol backwards compatibility for faster push?

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Wed Oct 17 09:14:13 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 16:13 +1000, Andrew Bennetts wrote:

> If the request is large (e.g. pushing 10MB container of revision data), then
> this isn't so good.  Sending a 10MB request just to get back a “sorry, I don't
> understand” response is going to be pretty slow.  What should we do about this?

Is it so synchronous? I would have thought that after a few bytes the
server would be able to send back an "I don't understand" even though
the client isn't done transmitting...

[I realize this is a corner case; I also seem to remember that Robert's
work of ~1 year ago to make bzr async internally never landed; but
surely in TCP land either returning a failure status code early or the
brute force approach (dropping the connection with extreme prejudice)
would work, and while the result may be ugly for both cases, I doubt
it's going to be pretty in any event]

AfC
Sydney