Getting Started with Bazaar presentation updated (and ready for the masses)

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Oct 16 18:05:02 BST 2007

Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> I've finally got the diagrams and clipart added to my "3hr tutorial" on
> Bazaar. It lacks transitions and effects but, frankly, if you care about
> those then grab a copy and dazzle me. :-) The latest version is now
> available in both OpenOffice and PDF formats here:
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~ianc/talks/. If you're doing talks yourself,
> feel free to start from it and hack away.
>
> Thanks to Hayashi Kentaro for the original versions (svg) of the
> diagrams. I did some editing to reflect how I wanted to explain things.
> They looked great before I got to them and I think they still do. :-)
>
> I'll add links to this presentation from the various Wiki pages in the
> morning. I'd also like to know what people think ought to be included
> from this in the official docs, e.g.:
>
> * nothing
> * links to the presentation
> * bundle the svg diagrams somehow
> * etc.
>
> I'm very biased of course but I think this presentation is now the best
> step for new users after Matt's updated "Bazaar in 5 minutes". That will
> change once the User Guide is improved no doubt but in the meantime, I
> think this nicely summarises how to get productive with Bazaar quickly.
>
> Ian C.

The problem with presentations is that they don't have associated commentary.
So while you can see the slides, you don't get the verbal descriptions. And I
know I've always been taught that the slides should be augmenting the speech,
because you don't want the audience to be too focused on your slides and not
hearing what you are saying. And you certainly don't want to be reading your
slides to the audience.

You probably should use 'send them a "merge directive"' rather than 'send them
a "bundle"'. I personally prefer the term bundle, but as it has been used once,
and we are now superseding it with something else... MD is more accurate, and
handles the fact that the request doesn't even have to have the revision data.
But it is also much harder to have a conversation about sending MD back and
forth. (The fact that you even have to say, "well they don't have to contain a
bundle", means they are more complex, and while it is generally ignored, does
add a bit more mental effort.)

Overall, I think it is looking good, though. If I were to recommend an
evolution of it, I would say put in more pictures and less text. The article I
linked is nice precisely because it tries to convey the good information with a
picture people can understand. And it is "pretty". Which is hard for me to do,
so I probably appreciate it more.

On the SVN slide you have "dumb merging" and "dumb renaming". I might suggest
"simple merging". Though we really want "overly simple merging".

Page 26: Exercise 1: Getting Help
is followed directly by
Page 27: Personal Version Control

I don't know if you meant to fill out P26 more, or if that is a page that you
were going to start talking ad-lib, or what is going on. But it is hard to
follow as a standard user.

Do you have a set of notes about what you want to say on each slide? I know
Martin does that. I tend to just shoot-from-the-hip. But it might help clarify
the text on some of the slides.