[RFC] [MERGE] Draft 2 of revised mini-tutorial

Matthew Revell matthew.revell at canonical.com
Tue Oct 16 14:29:07 BST 2007

On 16/10/2007, Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> >> I don't know how important this is, but `bzr send` does not merely
> >> produce a bundle-- it produces a merge directive that (optionally)
> >> contains a bundle.
"> >
> > Would it be better to stick with a simple bzr bundle?
>
> Not really.  A bundle is just a collection of revisions.  It contains no
> information on what merge to perform.  It contains no patch preview of
> what the merge would look like.

Ah, I see. Sorry for my confusion.

> Merge directives
> 1. are signable and can expire
> 2. provide an explicit merge revision and an explicit base revision
> 3. provide an (optional) preview of the merge that will be performed
> 4. can be used with either branches or bundles

Following our conversation on irc, how I've changed this to:

"A merge directive is a machine-readable request to perform a
particular merge.  It usually contains a patch preview of the merge
and either contains the necessary revisions, or provides a branch
where they can be found.

Replacing ``mycode.patch``, create your merge directive::

 $ bzr send -o mycode.patch
 Using saved location: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~bzr/bzr-gtk/trunk

You can now email the bundle to the upstream project who can, if they
choose, merge it back into trunk, i.e. the parent branch."

My concern is that we don't introduce bundles but, on balance, I think
that would be too much detail for this guide.

--
Matthew Revell
launchpad.net

mrevell in #launchpad on Freenode