DVCS comparison for our organisation: decided

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 16 13:13:44 BST 2007

Nicholas Allen <allen at ableton.com> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > The developer commits to their own branch without the hook, but
> > try to commit to the anointed canonical branch and the test suite
> > runs automatically to determine whether the commit succeeds.
> >
> I guess that is another way of doing it. It probably means that if
> multiple developers commit to the trunk at similar times you will
> get locking issues (even on Mercurial).

Not if the pre-commit hook is pre-acquire-repository-lock. That is,
only acquire the lock if the pre-commit hook succeeds.

> When one person is committing to the trunk and the test suit is
> being run then he will have to wait until the first developer's
> commit finishes.

If the pre-commit hook must be satisfied before even attempting to
acquire the repository lock, this isn't a problem; the person
twiddling their thumbs isn't holding anyone else up.

As for whether this is how Mercurial implements it, I don't know; the
context of the above was in response to a request for feedback on what
I think Bazaar should do.

--
 \         "Money is always to be found when men are to be sent to the |
  `\   frontiers to be destroyed: when the object is to preserve them, |