Documentation for Patch Queue Manager

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sun Oct 14 00:05:04 BST 2007

Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au> writes:

> Either I'm looking in the wrong places, or PQM has been used for
> years without any user documentation. I hope someone here can prove
> to me the former is true.

No responses to this so far, so I'll be more explicit about my goals
in the hope that someone can help me before my deadline expires.

My workplace is currently evaluating DVCSen to decide on a recommended
standard for the organisation. I'm arguing for Bazaar, because of its
steady, rapid progress over the last few years, the rock-solid support
for the basic use cases, and the presence of many features that don't
compromise the basics.

The current round of evaluations has brought the contenders down to
two: Mercurial and Bazaar. One of the features that Mercurial seems to
be better than Bazaar at is the support for commit-time actions. To
quote the person in charge of the evaluation:

=====
[...] I was able to get the following done in all of ten minutes
of testing:

 * install Mercurial
 * create a test repository on my machine
 * init a remote repository, push my changes to it
 * add a hook to automatically check out and test remote hooks
 * verify that changes work
 * verify that merging changes do follow copies correctly

This is, again, significantly nicer than my general experience with
Bazaar.  :/
=====

I can clearly demonstrate that the first few steps are equally simple
with Bazaar. Where I fall short is pointing to Bazaar's support for
repository hooks and commit actions. Both of us want Bazaar to be the
right choice, but currently it seems Mercurial has this support simply
and Bazaar doesn't. We'd both like to be proved wrong.

My vague impression is that PQM is part of the answer, but, as this
thread points out in its initial message, it seems to be vastly
under-documented, so we can't get very far figuring out PQM, and if
it's very difficult it will still compare poorly to Mercurial.

Please, help us find out how easy it is to support commit-time actions
and repository hooks for Bazaar. I'd hate to have our organisation
choose Mercurial merely because of ignorance of how to use Bazaar's
features.

--
 \        "Like the creators of sitcoms or junk food or package tours, |
  `\         Java's designers were consciously designing a product for |