Official packages for dapper?

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Fri Oct 12 15:52:38 BST 2007

Robert Collins wrote:
> If you were to backport the bazaar-vcs.org versions of ...
> bzr
> bzrtools
>
> that's the core
>
> but also
> bzr-gtk
> bzr-svn
>
> and other packages will be coming soon.

And I proceeded to get busy, and had other things come up, and so on...
but I finally got to it.

The most difficult part was figuring out how to convince cdbs to do the
right thing, which isn't very well documented.  Ultimately, all you have
to do is get rid of any DEB_PYTHON_SYSTEM settings in debian/rules, and
remove the dependency on python-central from the control file.  Once I
figured it out for bzr, bzrtools took about five minutes.

I've got two bundles attached against alioth's unstable packaging.  I
made an attempt to continue to work with newer Python policies, but
didn't go so far as to make a control.in for stripping out the
python-central build dep as needed.  So, these bundles will only work
for dapper, sarge, or other old-Python distros.

Oh, and I'm running binary packages of bzr 0.91 and bzrtools 0.91.0
based on these bundles on a real dapper system, with no major issues so
far.  Ran the selftests on bzr, too, with only one failure (the XFAIL on
tag propagation).