Smart server via inetd: bad response ('bzr: ERROR: unknown command "--inet"', )

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Fri Oct 12 04:50:01 BST 2007

Howdy all,

I'm attempting to follow the instructions for setting up a smart
server <URL:http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev/doc/server.txt>. Running
the server via inetd, the client fails as follows:

=====
$ bzr log bzr://appdev/cyber/sbls/trimclient/casper-netboot.stable/
bzr: ERROR: Generic bzr smart protocol error: bad response ('bzr: ERROR: unknown command "--inet"',)
=====

Both the server and client are bzr 0.91.0.

The inetd is configured with this line:

=====
4155            stream  tcp     nowait  bzr     /usr/bin/bzr    serve --inet --directory=/srv/bzr/
=====

What can I do to diagnose and fix the above failure?

--
 \     "The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is |
  `\       required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long |