Cannot merge bundles created without referencing another branch.

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 20:43:16 BST 2007

On 09/10/2007, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> Specifically, I have 1 branch of my homework assignment. I submit it at
> revision 8. And then they ask for changes. So I want to send the changes
> from revision 8 to the new tip.
>
> bzr send -r 8..-1
>
> Seems like a really nice, simple, and straightforward way to do that.

As a complete novice, I have to say that my immediate reaction was
surprise, if you're saying that you can't do that.

I tried to understand *why* you couldn't and rapidly got confused. My
mental model says that this is a more robust and automated way of
doing the equivalent of bzr diff -r 8..-1, save it as a patch, send it
off. Clearly, it isn't, when I start looking at the documentation, but
I've no idea what to make of the concept of a "submit branch" or a
"public branch".

The questions I immediately came up with when I started thinking about
this were:

1. How *do* I do something like bzr diff -r 8..-1, but rather than
producing a patch file, produce a binary-safe,
copy/move/delete-preserving "thing" (I want to say "bundle", but I
don't know for sure how the technical meaning of the word "bundle"
might differ from what I'm describing).

2. What precisely is bzr send intended *for*, if not the above use case?

Please understand, that for (1), an answer of "you shouldn't be doing
that" isn't really enough. Why on earth not? I'd be quite happy using
bzr diff to send a patch if upstream didn't use bzr - why should it be
any harder if upstream does use bzr?

For (2), I'm not trying to argue that bzr send isn't useful, it's just
that as a newcomer, I clearly seem to be expecting something different
from it - and so when I find out I'm wrong, I'd like to understand
what concepts or workflow I'm missing.

Paul.