Cannot merge bundles created without referencing another branch.

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Mon Oct 8 23:50:26 BST 2007

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>> If you absolutely, positively, *must* use a merge directive, then create
>> an empty branch and use that as your submit branch.
>
> For me send, merge-directives and bundles are three
> different things that solves different purposes.

You are talking about three different commands, but as formats, there
are only bundles and merge directives, and currently Bazaar does not
emit raw bundles.

>> The old way -r worked was a constant problem, because people who tried
>> to do cherry-picking were instead making it impossible to merge their
>> changes.
>
> It's not true in one edge case: when I exactly know that remote branch
> at revision r1, but my local branch on revision r2, and I want to
> "push" my changes to remote side via bundle. It's not merge process,
> it's pseudo-push (bundle + pull), because bzr allows me to pull bundles w/o problems.

This is no different from when I want to generate a merge directive
against bzr.dev.  I don't use bzr.dev, I use a local mirror of bzr.dev.
 You can use a local mirror of your remote branch.

>>> Yes, I remember
>>> your explanation about using this to reduce size of bundle.
>> I'm not sure what you mean.
>
> Once I sent you the bundle that was generated against '.' and you was unable to merge it.

Sure, but I don't know what you mean about size.  Bundles were always
meant to be fragments of a repository, not the whole thing.

>>> But in my
>>> opinion if we produce bundle against '.' then it's more understandable
>>> and straightforward for bzr users if bundle will contain all revisions
>>> inside.
>> Producing a bundle against "." is ludicrous, and anyone who does it
>> deserves what they get.
>
> I'm give up here. You're God of bundles, I'm only little human,
> and sometimes I'm willing to use bundles in the way that breaks
> commandments.

Even if there was a sanctioned way to do what you're doing, it would
still be ludicrous to use "." as a submit branch.  It's not what you
want to submit to.

>>> BTW, I just realized, that new send behavior will breaks my workflow
>>> to obtain new changes via my bzrdev.bialix.com site.
>>> I produce bundles from bzr.dev mirror on my site and then download
>>> bundles to my computer.
>> Why does this break your workflow?
>
> Because I do "pseudo-push" and produce bundle for this purpose against '.'.
> As you noted above I need to use reference branch, and reference branch
> is the only *right* way to do.
> But it's more complex for me, than just producing bundle against '.'.

But then you need to keep very careful track of revision numbers.  If
you use local mirrors, it just works.

Aaron