Cannot merge bundles created without referencing another branch.

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Mon Oct 8 20:15:10 BST 2007

Aaron Bentley пишет:
> Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>> Aaron Bentley ?8H5B:
>>> It's impossible to create a new-style bundle without referring to the
>>> submit branch:
>>>
>>> $ bzr init foo
>>> abentley at lappy:~$ cd foo
>>> abentley at lappy:~/foo$ bzr commit --unchanged -mblah
>>> Committing revision 1 to "/home/abentley/foo/".
>>> Committed revision 1.
>>> abentley at lappy:~/foo$ bzr send -o foo.bundle
>>> bzr: ERROR: No submit branch known or specified
>>>
>>> If you there's a bug there, please describe exactly what.
>> Original use case from Anton Dedov was:
>> $ bzr send -r2..3 -o r3.bundle
>
> Yes, and this as the same effect as I described above:
> $ bzr init foo
> $ cd foo
> $ bzr commit --unchanged -mblah
> Committing revision 1 to "/home/abentley/foo/".
> Committed revision 1.
> $ bzr commit --unchanged -mblah
> Committing revision 2 to "/home/abentley/foo/".
> Committed revision 2.
> $ bzr commit --unchanged -mblah
> Committing revision 3 to "/home/abentley/foo/".
> Committed revision 3.
> $ bzr send -r2..3 -o r3.bundle
> bzr: ERROR: No submit branch known or specified
>
> Now I should mention that `send` remembers the branch you specified
> last.  So if Anton had done this:
> $ bzr send -r2..3 -o r3.bundle .
>
> He could then do this:
> $ bzr send -r2..3 -o r3.bundle
> Using saved location: .
>
> And that would produce a bundle containing no revisions, because the
> submit branch, '.', already had all the necessary revisions.

Yes, IIRC I'm also stepped into this behavior when I wrote the patch
for thunderbird at win32 support. And this behavior ('.' branch already had all
necesary revisions) breaks the way old bundles working. Yes, I remember
your explanation about using this to reduce size of bundle. But in my
opinion if we produce bundle against '.' then it's more understandable
and straightforward for bzr users if bundle will contain all revisions
inside. Maybe it's more suitable to use bundle command instead of send,
but bundle in the future will die IIUC, and there is way to nowhere.

BTW, I just realized, that new send behavior will breaks my workflow
to obtain new changes via my bzrdev.bialix.com site.
I produce bundles from bzr.dev mirror on my site and then download
bundles to my computer. And because I'm still use bzr 0.18 on
the server, I have no problems here. And I think I will continue
working with old bundles for a while.