[RFC] Draft 2 of revised mini-tutorial

Matthew Revell matthew.revell at canonical.com
Mon Oct 8 18:39:56 BST 2007

On 04/10/2007, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:
> On 10/4/07, Matthew Revell <matthew.revell at canonical.com> wrote:
>
> > I've used [RFC] this time as I'm assuming we'll need another couple of
> > tweaks before it's ready to be merged.
>
> It's actually good if you say '[rfc][merge]' in the subject, as then
> we'll still have the benefit of BB tracking it.  You're not obliged to
> merge it.  But in any case it's ok to merge imperfect code or docs
> that improve what's already there.

Thanks, noted for future!

> +Over the next five minutes, you'll learn how to put your files under
> +version control, how to create your own
>
> ... how to record changes to them, examine your work, publish it, and
> merge changes from someone else.

Thanks.

> +Switch to a directory where you've already got some files, then type::
>
> Maybe we should create a small source tree (with a 'hello') file, rather
> than just saying "some files", otherwise people may try to commit their
> whole mp3 collection, which may not complete in 5 minutes.

Right, yes, good point. I've fixed that.

> In a later update to this, maybe we should put through links into the
> user guide for a fuller explanation of the concepts and commands.

Agreed. One for after the user guide work.

> +  $ bzr push sftp://jod@jod.example.com/public_html/foobar.john/
> +  2 revision(s) pushed.
> +
>
> I wonder if we should use Launchpad for the example, for a couple of
> reasons:
>
>  * not everyone has a server set up and running sftp
>  * pushing to it over bzr+ssh doesn't require them to install pycrypto
> (they may need it on Windows if they don't have putty, but in that
> case they're very likely to already have it from the installer)
>  * we can track how many people made it (this far) through the tutorial
>  * launchpad is a good option for hosting branches, and becoming better
>
> on the other hand
>
>  * people may well have an sftp server that's a lot closer and faster
>  * or they may want to experiment with non-public code
>  * they do have to set up a launchpad account, confirm their mail and
>
> If they do want to push there, it should be to
>
>   bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~username/+junk/bzr5m

That's an interesting point. I shied away from using Launchpad as the
example as I didn't want to require that people have a Launchpad
account.

Having read your pros and cons, I'd like to write a version that uses
Launchpad but links to an alternative for people who want to try it
with sftp. Would you be happy with that?

> Aside from that this looks like an improvement and I'd be happy to
> have it merged when you do John's updates.

Wonderful, thanks.

--
Matthew Revell
launchpad.net