Cannot merge bundles created without referencing another branch.

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Mon Oct 8 08:03:42 BST 2007

Anton Dedov пишет:
> On 10/8/07, *Alexander Belchenko* <bialix at ukr.net
> <mailto:bialix at ukr.net>> wrote:
>
>     Martin Pool пишет:
>      > On 10/8/07, Anton Dedov <adedov at gmail.com
>     <mailto:adedov at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      >> Hi!
>      >>
>      >> I have a following problem with merging of bundles. I
>     initialized bzr sample
>      >> repository and then created two revisions there. After that I
>     have branched
>      >> this repo and create a new revision in a new branch.
>      >>
>      >>  I create a bundle of a last revision of a second branch without
>     accessing
>      >> an initial one:
>      >> br2$ bzr send -r2..3 -o r3.bundle
>      >>
>      >> But this bundle cannot be applied to a first branch, though it
>     contains all
>      >> necessary revisions:
>      >> br1$ bzr merge ../br2/r3.bundle
>      >> bzr: ERROR: Revision
>      >> {adedov at localhost-20071007162028-i0qvibjuszg06ksh} not
>      >> present in "inventory".
>      >>
>      >> Whether it possible to address this issue?
>      >
>      > I think that should work.  Can you please use log --show-ids to check
>      > that adedov at localhost-20071007162028-i0qvibjuszg06ksh is the last
>      > revision on br1?
>
>     No, Martin, it will not work for reason Aaron know.
>     Old bundle format does not have such problem.
>     So, Anton you could use `bzr bundle --format=0.9`
>     to produce full bundle with all revision info
>     inside and then teach your students to attach
>     bundle file manually.
>     I'm also suggest my gzipped_bundle plugin
>     that especially useful for old bundle style.
>

> Will new-style bundles ever support work-flow initially described by me?
> Or I would need forever rely on obsolete format in case if I choose this
> way for my process?

I don't know. IMO, it's the bug in new bundle format generation: without
accessing to parent branch it should contain all info, as old bundle does.

But Harald describe you very straightforward way to avoid this problem.
I use similar approach to work on bzr.dev codebase, but without step 6,
because bzr.dev review policy requires from developers to send every
time full patch cleanly applicable to trunk (not incremental patches
as Harald describe).