Cannot merge bundles created without referencing another branch.

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Oct 8 05:52:38 BST 2007

On 10/8/07, Anton Dedov <adedov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a following problem with merging of bundles. I initialized bzr sample
> repository and then created two revisions there. After that I have branched
> this repo and create a new revision in a new branch.
>
>  I create a bundle of a last revision of a second branch without accessing
> an initial one:
> br2$ bzr send -r2..3 -o r3.bundle
>
> But this bundle cannot be applied to a first branch, though it contains all
> necessary revisions:
> br1$ bzr merge ../br2/r3.bundle
> bzr: ERROR: Revision
> {adedov at localhost-20071007162028-i0qvibjuszg06ksh} not
> present in "inventory".
>
> Whether it possible to address this issue?

I think that should work.  Can you please use log --show-ids to check
that adedov at localhost-20071007162028-i0qvibjuszg06ksh is the last
revision on br1?

> And a related question. Actually, I am trying to think out a process for
> reviewing students' code. I am conducting programming lectures, where I must
> search students works for language misuse and design mistakes. I have
> experienced some PITA with accepting/reviewing tgz files by email. And I
> would like to organize a process that could make my task more comfortable
> and less routine.
>
> I thought that students could send me a bundles of their revisions since the
> last review. But my experiment uncover some obstacles for that. And I don't
> know whether it is a bug in bzr or wrong tool usage (and, therefore, wrong
> approach I think of)? I dunno.

I think that's a good idea.  Normally your students should be able to
just use send without a -r parameter and it will automatically
calculate what needs to be sent.
--
Martin