MemoryError on commit with large file

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Oct 8 04:10:29 BST 2007

> Anyway, my python is OK, so I can take a crack at writing a patch to
> catch the MemoryError and do something else. I'm totally new to
> Bazaar, so if Rob or somebody could send me a few pointers on where
> the right places in the code are, I'd appreciate it.

One place to start would be to at least give a cleaner message

  bzr: out of memory
  (details in ~/.bzr.log)
  see http://bugs.launchpad.net/....

so that at least people know we're working on this and it's not
totally uncontrolled.  There is a bug requesting this.

Beyond that you should start by adding some tests for whether we
handle big files.  Pick a particular case; the simplest is probably
initial commit.  Make a blackbox test that you can add a say 400MB
file in an initial commit.  See where that fails, post about it here
and we'll come up with a better way.

This may be slow if we get many such tests so we might need to address
that before merging but you needn't worry about it for now.  I can
think of a few options:

 - try to keep using the same working file for many tests
 - have them not run by default

--
Martin