index/dirstate bisection notes

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Oct 7 12:19:44 BST 2007

I've been putting bisection into the toy GraphIndex logic.

I wrote a generic bisect_multi_bytes routine, that may be usable for
both GraphIndex and dirstate. One thing I realised after doing that
interface is that its a bit limiting - after bisection for one key, we
often have enough info to bisect a much smaller region of the object, if
we use the knowledge from the prior bisection to seed the upper and
lower bounds for that key. But its trickier for generic driver to do
this, so I'm probably going to send up a slightly less efficient initial
patch than is possible - but the good news is that the iniefficiency
will be purely in memory, not externally.

-Rob