[MERGE] Revised mini-tutorial

Matthew Revell matthew.revell at canonical.com
Wed Oct 3 16:00:09 BST 2007

On 30/09/2007, John Gabriele <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > +
> > +Introducing yourself

> > +Publishing Your Branch
> > +======================
> > +
> > +There are a couple of ways to publish your branch but the easiest way is to
> > +push it to a web server.
> > +
>
> Would be nice to have "publish" be a link to the relevant glossary
> page (though, again, I see that there isn't one).

I can add one, if people feel "publish" needs explanation.

> Maybe mention that an alias for "branch" is "get", since some sites
> who publish using Bazaar mention to use ``bzr get`` to get their
> source.

Again, I'm not sure that's right for such a quick intro tutorial. I'm
happy to be persuaded otherwise :)

> > +
> > +Creating your own branch Personal Branch
> > +========================================
> > +
> > +Of course, you can also make your own branch of someone else's work. Let's
> > +say you're interested interested in the Foo project::
> > +
> > +  $ bzr branch http://example.com/code/foobar.dev foobar.joe
> > +  Branched 1 revision(s).
> > +
> > +Bazaar will download all the files and complete revision history from the
> > +Foo project's development branch. Just as you created your own branch from
> > +scratch, you now have your own copy of the Foo dev branch.
>
> You refer here to the "Foo dev" branch, but you checked out something
> named "foobar.dev". You may want to add that the Foo project calls
> their development branch "foobar.dev".

I've changed this to work with a real-world example - bzr-gtk - as I
think it'll be more useful. I decided not to use bzr itself as I was
worried it might be confusing.

> Thanks for your work Matthew. Hope this was helpful.

Thanks very much for your feedback!

--
Matthew Revell
launchpad.net